Welcome to the GE Moisture-Related Refrigerator
Class Action Settlement Web Page
ATTENTION: All Persons who purchased, owned, or currently own GE or Hotpoint branded 20, 22 or 25 cubic foot side-by-side refrigerators manufactured by GE between January 1, 2001 and December 31, 2002.
PLEASE NOTE: NOT ALL GE OR HOTPOINT REFRIGERATORS ARE INCLUDED WITHIN THIS SETTLEMENT. PLEASE REFER TO THE LIST OF ELIGIBLE MODELS.
This webpage is intended to provide potential Settlement Class Members with information about the Settlement, including copies of the Class Notice, the Claim Form, the Settlement Agreement, the Court’s Order Preliminarily Approving Settlement, and the List of Eligible Models.
Click on the underlined terms in this webpage to see the relevant documents.
Summary of the Class Action Lawsuit
William F. Turner filed a lawsuit in the U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Florida on behalf of himself and a putative class consisting of all persons who purchased certain GE or Hotpoint branded 20, 22 and 25 cubic foot side-by-side refrigerators manufactured by GE (see List of Eligible Models). Mr. Turner alleges, among other things, that the refrigerators did not perform in accordance with the advertisements, marketing materials and warranties disseminated by GE nor with the reasonable expectations of ordinary consumers because of alleged moisture problems as set forth more fully in the Complaint. GE has denied Mr. Turner’s allegations and contends that its refrigerators are of superior quality and workmanship.
After thoroughly analyzing the facts and law applicable to Mr. Turner’s claims, and taking into account the extensive burdens and expenses of litigation, including the risks and uncertainties associated with protracted trials and appeals, as well as the fair, cost-effective, and assured method of resolving such claims, Mr. Turner and GE entered into a Settlement Agreement that provides substantial benefits to the Settlement Class. On December 22, 2005, the U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Florida entered an Order preliminarily approving the Settlement.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Which refrigerators are affected by this Class Action Settlement?
Certain GE or Hotpoint branded 20, 22 and 25 cubic foot side-by-side refrigerators manufactured by GE are affected (see List of Eligible Models). For any further questions, please call 1-866-839-4463.
2. Who is a Member of the Settlement Class?
You are a member of the Settlement Class and your rights against GE are affected if you are a person who, as of January 13, 2006, purchased, owned or currently owns one of the specified GE or Hotpoint branded 20,22 or 25 cubic foot side-by-side refrigerators manufactured by GE (see List of Eligible Models).
3. What are the terms of the Settlement?
The Settlement Agreement settles and resolves all of the Plaintiff’s and Settlement Class Members’ claims against GE in the Action related to any moisture-related problems. The benefits program of the Settlement provides for three forms of possible benefits to Settlement Class Members. These benefits are:
- Additional Warranty Protection: One additional year of warranty protection for moisture-related problems (section 5.1 of Settlement Agreement).
- Refrigerator Exchange: A replacement refrigerator for any product on the List of Eligible Models that has required three or more unsuccessful moisture-related service calls and that still has a moisture-related problem (section 5.2 of Settlement Agreement).
- Reimbursement: Reimbursement for moisture-related service calls (including parts and/or labor) reasonably incurred between the date the refrigerator was purchased and January 13, 2006. In addition, for Settlement Class Members who, between the date the refrigerator was purchased and December 9, 2005, (a) had three or more unsuccessful moisture-related service calls on their refrigerator and (b) replaced their refrigerator because of moisture-related problems, GE shall reimburse the reasonable cost of the replacement refrigerator unit up to the amount of the refrigerator’s original purchase price (section 5.3 of Settlement Agreement).
4. How does a Settlement Class Member submit a claim?
Settlement Class Members must submit a properly completed Claim Form by mail to GE at the address listed at the bottom of this page. If you fail to properly and timely make your claim, you will lose the right to receive benefits.
- The Claim Form for the Additional Warranty Protection must be postmarked by midnight April 13, 2006. For moisture-related service calls under the additional warranty protection program, please call GE at 1-866-839-4463.